Creation of a Short Film : Getting Ready To Edit...

So after my very adventurous weekend of filming (please see below post for a bedtime watch of  'The adventures of a video camera'!), I am very pleased to say that I have all my footage and now is just the long and hopefully only slightly stressful job of editing it all together to hopefully come out with my short film 'Moments'. Although the downfall of snow, has prevented me from starting my editing (although I am not going to complain at having a few very fun snow days), I am planning on having a day tomorrow where quite possible I shall feel glued to my chair as I face a full day of media, media, media. In preparation for my editing I have been researching existing short films on the 'BBC Film Networks' and 'Virgin Media Shorts' in order to see what the layout is for short films, what is the common point for the title, whether there is any title sequences or whether it is just credits at the end, and whether there is a production logo at the start.

PRODUCTION INDENT


Similar to when we created the two minute opening of a feature length film for our AS production, whereby we had to create a indent for our production company for the start of the film through my research I have seen that the films distributed on BBC Short Film Networks include their own production indents, in the short film 'Two and Two' (shown in the image) rather than using an indent picture, the company name is just written however by including a slate board like back ground, and a handwriting style font this adds to the school theme and has inspired me that an image can be created without actually using pictures. I am unsure whether I shall create a new production indent for my company 'Seaside Productions' or incorporate the indent which I created last year which I feel was one of my strongest pieces I created last year as one says the possibilities are endless however here is my past logo just as a reminder!


THE TITLE


Unlike many of our two minute openings whereby our title was incorporated towards the end of the sequence, for many short films I have researched such as 'Two and Two' the title in incorporated at the the very start of the film this is a convention that I am planning on incorporating in my short film, I am also looking into how on after effects I can create the title sequence whereby it looks as if a pen is writing the title. However through further research on 'Virgin Media Shorts', I came across the short film 'Time' which goes again convention, by incorporating the title at the end of the film, this ensures that tension is built and the title is incorporate as a climax to the film which I particularly thought was very effective.

END CREDITS 


For a feature length film the main title sequence is incorporated throughout the opening, such as for Juno in the first two minutes the title sequence involves the actors, casting by, costume designer, music and songs, supervisors co-producers, editors, production designer, director of photography, produced by, written by and directed by. However for the short films which I researched I learnt that it is the end credits where these key names are introduced. therefore through the use of After Effects I shall create the sequence at the end of my piece, I feel that this will ensure that the audience know that my piece is a short film rather than an opening to a feature length film.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment